Mary's Blog

November 25, 2008

I can't believe it's been nine months since I last wrote. I've had a great summer running around and Sonja and I have just returned from a week at Myrtle Beach with Don and Sheena.
This past Monday I had a CT scan and got the results on Thursday. The news wasn't as great as I would have hoped. The largest tumor was stable but there were several small (.5 cm) nodules in both lungs. I am continuing the Tarceva although Dr. Foulke doesn't think it's doing as it should. I'm having a brain MRI tomorrow afternoon, but the result will not be available til Friday. We are, therefore, looking for other options. There are 3 or 4 cancer centers we are considering. Since the doctor we saw at Duke is now in research full time, Dr. Foulke told us he would call for an appt. for us with the head lung oncologist there. I'm not sure they will have other methods of therapy but we're certainly going to explore all.

Since my last entry, some of my friends and relatives have died from various forms of this dreaded disease: Tim Haden, Shane's stepfather; Jodie Helms, a friend at church and wife of David, mother of two; Susie McCracken, my cousin and wife of Kelly, mother of Bryce and Kyle; Mary Ann Ingram, wife of JW (my good friend from church) and mother of six, and Zell Church, HP's mother.

I'll write more after my scan report on Friday.

Please continue to pray for me and I certainly appreciate all your support thus far.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Love,
Mary


February 22, 2008

I had a PET scan on February 7 at Duke. The Friday, February 8, we met with Dr. Garst to hear the report. The largest tumor had grown a small amount. It was so small she said it could have been just the difference in machines, but she gave me the option of taking Tarceva and I chose to go ahead with it. But I only started it last night and so far, so good. I didn't expect any side effects right away. I think it takes about 6 or 7 days for them to kick in.

On the down side, Shane's step-father, Tim, is in critical condition tonight. He has been battling cancer but was in remission for about 15 years. He recently was diagnosed with esophogeal cancer. He had surgery on Valentine's Day and has not done well since. He is on a ventilator but his lungs are filling with fluids and it is very sad. Please pray for his family. They have had so much grief in the past few years.

I'm feeling good and have an appointment soon to be evaluated at Presby.'s rehab to determine what exercises I should be doing. They are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays so that will be my next big hurdle, getting into the exercise mode. As Joan Rivers stated, "I don't exercise. If God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put diamonds on the floor."

Thanks again for your continuing support,
Love,
Mary



January 13, 2008

I'm sorry I haven't written since my last appointment with Dr. Garst at Duke, but I haven't been able to push the right button on my blog page and my guru, Sonja, would always be somewhere else when I needed her to "log me on"! (I'm so technologically challenged I don't know how I faked my way through 14-1/2 years at Christ Lutheran.) Are you reading this, Scott?

I only had blood work done on Jan. 4 because I'd had a CT and a brain MRI the month before. She said I was in partial remission. I'll have a PET scan on Feb. 7 and probably will go into treatment if the tumor has grown. I will cross that bridge when I get to it, but in the meantime I'm feeling very well and don't worry about it - much.

Sonja is working to get some new pictures up but if you guys have any to send, please do. If not, you can at least write in/on my blog. She has had bronchitis and sinusitis but is feeling better now. Guess what? I took her to the doctor! I was sorry she was sick but it felt good to be the caregiver for a change.
We had a great Christmas, everyone was here. Sherri and family stayed an extra week and Sherri, Sonja and Ben went with me to Duke. She (the doctor) was very upbeat about everything, thought I was looking great, whoudathunk? Honestly, many times I forget I'm supposed to be sick. Then I try to walk around the block and can't do it, but I'm working on it.

I need some people to write in my blog, send pictures or something. And please keep me in your prayers and thoughts this month that all will still be at least the same or diminished in February.

Love,
Mary



December 6, 2007

Hey ya'll,

Good news! The reports were very positive. The tumor reduced in size by 20%, total 55% since diagnosis. The brain MRI was clear and the bone scan only showed the "hot spot" that was there last time. I asked Dr. Foulke if he wanted to ZAP it with radiation. He asked me if it hurt or was uncomfortable. It does neither, so he said leave it alone. Merry Christmas to me!

It feels as though I've been given a "Get Out of Jail Free" pass. I know stage 4 cancer is a tough bird but right now I'm feeling good and am looking forward to my appointment at Duke on the 20th to see what Dr. Garst has in mind. She has some new clinical trials or she may decide to give me the Tarceva alone. Dr. Foulke thinks she probably won't give me anything until January or maybe even February. Then he added, "If your anxiety level will permit your waiting that long".

Again, I'm so grateful for the support and prayers from all of you. You have been there for me at every turn, good and bad.

But--there seems to always be a but, doesnt' there? I have relatives and friends who are going through some really rough times right now and would love for you to add them to your prayer list: Susie, Tim, Jodie, Mary Ann, John, as well as friends of Susie; Joy, Tina and Lisa who are all going through the same cancer treatments (ovarian). Don't forget me though. And remember my brother-in-law, Willard, who is having some memory problems.

Merry Christmas to everyone.
Love,
Mary



November 28, 2007

It's been almost 4 weeks since I've written anything. I've been off chemo for about that long and was feeling anxious about what could be happening inside my chest and other places while no one was watching. I had an appointment with Dr. Foulke yesterday and they scheduled a CT, bone scan and brain MRI for Monday morning, 6:45 AM. I'm feeling well, except for a few pains here and there and some weakness in my legs. If there has been some growth, he will discuss with us and with Dr. Garst at Duke about my taking the pill (I think I mentioned in the last posting) Tarceva. Dr. Garst is interested in some clinical trials, while Dr. Foulke doesn't care too much for them. We'll see. The two side effects that occur most with Tarceva is acne and dia-rrrrhhheeeaa. Goody! I didn't have acne as a teenager so now I can buy Clearasil; as for the other one, I won't go there. We had a great Thanksgiving weekend; all the children and grandchildren were here except Sara, who had to work, and Robin and Jeremy, who were visiting her parents in Gulfport, MS. Jenny and Chris, my sister-in-law and nephew, came from Oak Ridge. We ate, watched football, basketball, rode skateboards (Bennett has been skateboarding for two whole weeks now and looks like a pro), Erin rode Jeremy's John Deere tractor, men went to the movies, women cleaned the kitchen, and did Sudoku and crosswords. Oh, Bennett said he learned all the dangerous stuff from his dad, things that his mom and nana didn't want him to do. I was relieved when everyone arrived safely at home on Sunday night. The Thanksgiving "traffic was terrific" and it took them forever to get home. All except Harry, who had the good sense to leave Saturday. I'll write more after my scans have been read on Tuesday, the 4th of December. Would love to see more people responding to this. Thanks for your continued prayers.

Love, Mary


November 4, 2007

On Thursday I had an appointment with Dr. Jennifer Garst at Duke Medical Center. My sister-in-law, Sheena, came down from Virginia and accompanied us. Sonja was ill and couldn't go. After bloodwork and going over my records, her suggestion was for me to stop my second round of chemo (I had 4 remaining). She said she had found that many doctors over chemo and that after the first 4 or so treatments, the effectiveness diminishes sharply. She was pleased with my 35% reduction in the tumor and wants me to regain my strength and have another CT scan on December 20. If there is no change we will wait some more and if it has started to grow she will put me on a pill, Tarceva, which was what Dr. Foulke had also prescribed, but had given me the choice of whether to continue in my second round. I will also be eligible for some clinical trials once I've been off chemo for awhile. I had a blood transfusion last Friday, the 26th, and started feeling better on Sunday. I felt well enough to drive to church this morning. But I came home and slept two hours. Sonja is feeling better finally, she had a rough 4 days.
When I came home from Duke, I had an email from Nathan telling us that Nancy's daughter, Susie, had just had surgery for stage 3 ovarian cancer. She is 41 and she and Kelly are parents of 4-year-old Bryce and 6-month-old Kyle. The latest report from Kelly is that she will probably go home tomorrow and start her chemo next week. Please keep her in your prayers also.

Mary


October 21, 2007

This has definitely been the worst week of my treatment. If anything could have been done wrong, it was. From doing the wrong ultrasound to doing an unneeded CT scan. I won't bore you with details.





My body has been so weak after the first treatment of the second round of chemo that I can hardly walk from one room to another. Surely it will be better soon. Sonja looked at my report and told them I was anemic and they said, "Oh yes, I guess you are" and gave me a shot for that. I think it's time to start thinking about Duke or somewhere.

More later.

Love, Mary


October 10, 2007

Boy! Time flies when you're having fun! The last 7 days would have been fun because I had a shot of Neulasta and felt great, but two weeks ago I got a chemo burn in my vein, and have spent my time with ice packs and pain relievers, lying on the sofa.
I'm finished with the first 9 weeks of treatment and am scheduled for a CT scan on October 15. On the 16th I have to get a port installed in my upper arm so the burn thing won't happen again.


Yesterday, a crown fell out and I went to the dentist to have it cemented. Couldn't do it because I'm having chemo and they were afraid that anything they did would cause an infection. So I have to wait til my second round of chemo is over.





Mary


September 24, 2007

Well, I didn't want to bore you with details! I've been up and down a few times since last time, but I think I'm on the upswing again. I had a bout with shortness of breath and had to go to the ER. They thought I might have a blood clot in my lung, but I didn't; and they also saw that the cancer was smaller.


I have a 4-hour chemo Thursday, then a shorter one the next Thursday, then another CT scan to see what is happening to the lesions. I feel good most of the time; good enough to get myself in trouble, then have to rest for awhile til my body decides to make more white blood cells.

On Monday, my son-in-law, Shane's, Aunt Rosie had a heart attack and died. She was such a wonderful person, and we extend our condolences to her husband, Gene, and Shane's mom and stepfather, Peggy and Tim, and the Linville family. As we were walking in the door from her funeral on Thursday, the phone was ringing and it was our brother-in-law, Don Forester, telling us that our Aunt Pearl Mathis had passed in Dayton, Ohio. What a great lady she was, also. She had a smile that would light up a room and a laugh that would make you laugh even if you hadn't heard the joke. We send our love and prayers to her sons and daughters-in-law, Delbert and Karen, Doug and Kathy, and their families.

I went to have my lab work done Friday and my white blood cell count was low, at 0.3. To be able to take my next chemo it has to be 1.5 so guess who rested and ate healthy food for three days? And guess who waited on me hand and foot, Sonja. But I am still milking this thing for all it's worth. I got a new deck, thanks to Ben and Todd and two of Todd's friends, Donnie and Chuck. It's finished, looks great, and is awaiting new deck furniture as soon as I can get off my duff and go see if there are any "end of season" sales. Yeah, I'm still cheap, it's gotta be on sale.

I haven't been receiving nearly as many messages as
I would like but then I haven't written anything new lately either, so I can't complain too much.

Thanks to everyone for all the cards, food, phone calls and emails. Keep it up.

Love, Mary


Thursday, September 6, 2007

I haven't written lately because everything has stayed basically the same. I've felt well, eaten well (thanks to neighbors and church friends), and actually "worked" in the yard a couple days. What can one do in a yard that crackles when one walks? We're just trying to keep a little ahead so the shrubbery and flowers don't completely die.

We had a gathering on Saturday, Sept. 1 (yes, it

was my birthday but that was coincidental). we had family from Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia and W. Virginia, and a few friends and neighbors. If ever the chemo makes me sick or I'm feeling lousy, I will make myself flashback to that day. I felt so loved and hope all who came shared that same feeling.

And, oh by the way, I had 4 hours worth of chemo today, got home about 3:00 p.m. and feel just the same as when I went in. I told Dr. Foulke I was still convinced he was not reading my X-rays but some-one else's. He is very pleased with my progress so far.

I was saddened yesterday when Mark Glaeser (our Minister of Music) called to tell me his mother, Marcie, had passed at 1:30 a.m. (Sept. 5) He had called me from her room and let me talk with her on Saturday afternoon to wish me a happy birthday. We talked about her birthday being on December 28, which is my niece, Erin's, birthday. Yes, I also have a granddaughter, Erin. She sounded strong and I told her I'd talk with her again. When I woke yesterday I thought of her immediately and I felt a panic because I hadn't called Monday, and had intended to call just as soon as I thought she might be awake. Little did I know she was awake already, with Jesus and Harold, her husband. She was a classy lady and I loved her very much. We were hospital neighbors for a few days while I was being diagnosed. She had been diagnosed with leukemia only a few weeks before by Dr. Foulke.

Thanks to all who are responding to my blog. I know some of you can read and see the pictures but can't post. If you will e-mail me, Sonja, my secretary, can resend the invitation, or you can just email what you want to say and she can post it into the blog. I want to hear from more people.

I know that my positive attitude, my feeling so well and my determination that I am absolutely going to beat this thing could not be coming from me. That is coming directly from the prayers and words of encouragement and support from all of you and
I feel so very blessed to have the family and friends that I have.

Love, Mary



Saturday, August 25, 2007

Oops! I got distracted and forgot to write for a couple days (chemo doesn't work on ADD!). I'm doing great after the second chemo, no nausea. On Wednesday, we went to Presby. Hospital for a second opinion. Oncologists and other health professionals came into my room one after another and discussed what their opinions were after having reviewed my records. Then after lunch a spokesman met with us to sum up their findings and they agreed with the present course of treatment. I'm satisfied that all that can be done is being done now and
I am at peace with that. Keep me in your hearts, I'm peddling as fast as I can.

Love, Mary


Tuesday, August 21, 2007

We had a full house over the weekend, with all 4 kids and most of their kids visiting. My nephew and his girlfriend, who live in Concord, came- I was very happy to see them. I feel pretty well - no nausea or loss of appetite, just a little tired. Everyone but Sonja had to return to work on Monday, so she will be here to carry out my every wish. My church family is wonderful; visiting, providing meals, sending flowers, cards, e-mails. Even people who are very not well themselves are calling to lend support and say how much they care. Their outpouring of love and concern has been just overwhelming and their compassion is truly appreciated. Our neighbors are awesome. They, too, have visited, sent cards, brought food, phoned and e-mailed. I go for a second opinion tomorrow and am trying to "save some strength" for that. It is from 9:30-2:30, with doctors, radiologists, nutritionists, exercise physio-logists, etc. Thursday, I will go for my second round of chemotherapy, which is a shorter session and the medication administered is supposedly less harsh on the body. Members of my Sunday School class are to visit and bring dinner later today. I think Todd and family are going to come over and eat with us. I'm feeling very tired today, as I did yesterday; having a little stomach upset but no nausea as yet. With so many people who care; that are pulling for me and praying for me, this cancer will have a tough time hanging on!

Love, Mary


Sunday, August 19, 2007

Dear Friends and Family,

On Tuesday, Aug 14, 2007, I became one of the more than 200,000 people each year diagnosed with (non-smokers') lung cancer. As I had no symptoms until Thursday, Aug 9, my cancer was not detected until already having reached Stage IV, a critically serious finding. There are various treatment options available, surgery will not be done.

I am literally going to give this the “fight of my life.” My initial chemotherapy treatment was Aug 16, with another to follow Thurs., the 23, at which time I will have a week off, then repeat the 3-week cycle twice. Thereafter, a repeat CT scan
will be performed in an effort to re-evaluate the cancerous areas in my lungs.

My hope is that this “diary” of every day happenings, along with health updates, pictures, etc. will make it easier for all concerned to access up-to-date information, send notes, etc. I still look forward to receiving calls, emails and cards.


Please submit your own personal thoughts, wishes, photos – anything you would like to share with me and other family/friends.

Thanks for your love and support.

Love, Mary

**********************************************************************

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Jerry Wilson

Mary & Family, You all look so great in the picture. I'm thankful for the portions of your September 24 entry that are good news, Mary. It sounds like the chemo is working and my hope and prayers are that it works all the way into remission. You are in our thoughts here in Springfield, Missouri. Sorry - still haven't hunted down those pictures yet. God bless you all. Jerry Wilson